Monday, April 21, 2008

LORD, SEND ME

I admire those people who are ready to lay down their lives for the sake of others. I heard a lot of stories of people who did sacrifice their own good and even their own lives for other people. I asked myself, "Am I ready and willing to do the same?"

One pastor said to me before he died, "Rhiza, you will be a great missionary." I didn't know why he said that. I never told him that I wanted to be a missionary.I have been serving the church(The United Methodist Church) since I have graduated from college(2001). By the way, deaconesses are persons who have been led by the Holy Spirit to devote their lives to Christ-like service under the authority of the church.(Par.1313, from the Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church)Deaconesses function through diverse forms of service directed toward the world to make Jesus Christ known. Deaconesses serve to:
a. Alleviate suffering;
b. Eradicate causes of injustice and all that robs life, dignity and worth;
c. Facilitate the development of full human potential;
d. Share in the building of global community through the church universal.

We, deaconesses are ready to give our services to any United Methodist Church agencies and programs or institutions or programs other than the UMC, provided that the approval be given by the Deaconess Board in consultation with the bishop.

For my seven years of service, I am functioning as a kindergarten and Sunday School teacher, pianist, choir conductor, Bible Study leader, preacher and even a janitor in the local church where I am appointed. The work is hard and challenging but I am enjoying it. I am that kind of person who loves challenges and adventures.

Eventhough I am happy serving the Lord inside the church, I still desire to go outside because of a dream. I have a dream. I think this dream will not be realized inside the four corners of the church. Maybe, you will think that I am becoming selfish. Others think that deaconesses leave the church to search for greener pasture. No, my friend. This dream is not just for myself but for all. And I want you to know that I will not leave the deaconess ministry.

When I was in college(Haris Memorial College), I experienced teaching children in the slum areas in Metro Manila. Since then, the passion of serving/reaching out those children from the less privileged families bloomed in my heart. That's why I have a dream or a vision of putting up a school intended for these children. I picture this school to be situated on top of a hill, surrounded by flowers, vegetables and trees and there is also a creek nearby. The school will be named Balay Kiddie Center.(Balay is an ilocano word which means house.)But it seems that this dream is far from its realization. I don't have money to use. That's the problem. But I don't stop dreaming, believing and hoping that this dream will come true. If I will not be given a chance to put up a school of my own, I am willing to give my service to any institution that serves to educate poor children specially those children from the farflung areas who oftentimes disregarded by the concerned people.

Based on what I have mentioned, yes, I really wanted to be a missionary. But to be a missionary is not so easy. You need to go to places where you do not know. Sometimes, your life is considered in danger. Recently, I heard a news from a friend that a fellow deaconess who was specially appointed to teach indigenous children in Tanay, Rizal was killed when there was an encounter between the military and the New People's Army. According to the news, she was mistakenly identified as a member of the NPA. What a sad story, tears fell from my eyes when I heard this sad news.

The Bible says in Matthew 10:39, "Whoever finds life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. To tell you honestly, I want to die while I am in the ministry. I am willing and ready to die for Jesus' sake.

Thinking of what is happening in our society today, there are a lot of people who need to know and experience that there is hope and that God loves them. Jesus Christ is calling someone who is willing to be used as God's arm in reaching out those brethren.

For God's glory, I say without hesitation, "Lord, send me."

No comments: